Tuesday, March 29, 2005


Photo of the day. Michael giving you a kiss on the head is how I see it.



Speaking of photos, here is a new song by our friend Cindy Bullens. This song, Paper and Glass, is about photos of Cindy's daughter Jessie. Cindy always makes beautiful songs out of sad feelings.

I just saw Cindy down in Texas a week ago and it was really nice to see her. She is so great and so talented. I wish everyone would buy this album. Mom and I get thanked on it, which is one of the coolest things imaginable for me.



Paper and Glass

On the table there are pictures
And they're scattered every which way
I keep looking for the right one
For the best one of you and me

I go downtown in the evening
After the nice stores catch the tourists
I go search for just the right frame
For the picture of you and me

Paper and glass is all I have
What's left of you and me
Paper and glass inside a frame

So I find one and I buy it
And it shimmers like the stars
I will put it by my bedside
And I will kiss it every single night

Paper and glass is all I have
What's left of you and me
Paper and glass inside a frame

I feel the cold of the glass upon my lips
And I know I'm always gonna feel like this

Paper and glass is all I have
What's left of you and me
Paper and glass inside a frame

©2005 Mommy’s Geetar Music/BMI

A lot of great people help out Cindy on the album, including Tim Wakefield, who is a pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. How cool is that - a baseball pitcher who sings and plays guitar. I wish I could do one thing really well.

The Red Sox are the team that won the World Series. Remember how last fall I kept telling you how your buddy David Ortiz was doing so well hitting all those home runs, and how the Red Sox were winning. I still believe it was because of how nice he was to you.





Batman fan. Makes sense, huh.

Obviously there are a bunch of good guys on that team. This is from a story that was in a Boston newspaper last month,

Just days after the Sox won the World Series, Wakefield was in Portland, Maine, fulfilling a promise to a friend: Singer-songwriter Cindy Bullens, who lost her 11-year-old daughter, Jessie Bullens-Crewe, to Hodgkin's Disease, was having a concert to benefit the Jessie B-C Fund as well as the Maine Children's Cancer Center, and Wakefield showed up, guitar in hand. He played with her band, then took the mike and let them back him up while he sang the Eagles' "Take It Easy."

A month earlier, Bullens, a former backup singer for Elton John who has had Sir Elton record with her, as well as such notable artists as Bonnie Raitt, Steve Earle, and Rodney Crowell, pulled Wakefield into the Woolly Mammoth recording studio near Fenway Park and had him play and sing backup on a song she's recording for her new album, "7 Days." The song has a verse about Ted Williams, and Bullens, a two-time Grammy Award nominee and devoted Sox fan, wanted Wakefield's voice to be heard.

Last month, Bullens showed up for Wakefield's golf tournament in his hometown of Melbourne, Fla., which this spring raised $241,000 for the Space Coast Early Intervention Center, which offers care for children with special needs. Let others bang the drum for what the ballplayer/guitarist does; he just quietly goes about what he can do to make a difference. The Sox, who fancy their players as more than idiots, have nominated Wakefield six times for the Roberto Clemente Award, given by Major League Baseball to honor players for their charitable endeavors.


There is a saying that was made famous by a baseball manager, a guy named Leo Durocher. He said, "Nice guys finish last."

Henry, don't believe it. Nice guys don't finish last, they win the World Series.

No comments: