Friday, January 01, 2010


It's New Years Day. We are in St. Michaels. Home.

Mom is on the phone with a reporter from a newspaper in Baltimore who is doing a story about Hope for Henry starting its program at Sinai Hospital. I just slipped her a note that said, "make sure to mention your book." And Mom whispered back that the reporter has already read it. I am glad there are people getting to know you who didn't know you.

Todd Snider, who I love and who is mentioned in Saving Henry, sings a song about his friend Eddy who died on New Years Day 10 years ago. I wonder how he does that night after night without crying. I love that he remembers him that way. John Prine, who I also love, sings a song in every concert called Souvenirs. He wrote that song with his really close friend Steve Goodman, who died of leukemia.

 Souvenirs

© John Prine & Steve Goodman

All the snow has turned to water
Christmas days have come and gone
Broken toys and faded colors
Are all that's left to linger on
I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs

Chorus:
Memories they can't be bought
They can't be won at carnivals for free
Well it took me years
To get those souvenirs
And I don't know how they slipped away from me

Broken hearts and dirty windows
Make life difficult to see
That's why last night and this mornin'
Always look the same to me

I hate reading old love letters
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my sweetheart's souvenirs

I guess it is a bit like Alex Ovechkin kissing the sky after he scores each goal. Maybe this blog is my Souvenirs. 
 
Saving Henry is Mom's.  I don't how she is going to read from the book at book parties and readings and not cry.

No comments: