Saturday, May 14, 2005


Remember I told you about my friend Matt whose little boy Julian died after he had a transplant. He and his wife Naomi just had a baby named Lucia.

We went to Lucia's baby naming. It was a very happy and very sad gathering. I don't know exactly what they are going through. I guess they are feeling a whole lot of different things all at the same time. We had a son die and a baby born but not in the same order. Joe was born 14 months before you died, and Lucia was born a year after Julian died. I think it must be harder the way it happened for them.

It was a really nice ceremony. Matt is a lot like me I think. It is hard to say everything you want to say out loud in front of people when you have a lot of sad feelings. What he said was beautiful. Naomi, Lucia's mommy, read a poem and it made me and everyone else cry.

Tonight we are going to see Bruce Springsteen. I think that will make me sad.
________________________________________

From: Paul, Matthew [mailto:mpaul@PattonBoggs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 10:37 AM

The baby’s name is Lucia Elizabeth Paul Mezey.

Lucia was Jake’s inspiration and seems appropriate for a Cinco de Mayo baby.
Elizabeth is after Naomi’s favorite poet, Elizabeth Bishop. Naomi recommends “The Moose” and “One Art”.

I call her “Lou” after my favorite baseball player, Lou Gehrig. I recommend Gehrig’s farewell address.

Lucia’s Hebrew name is Leah after my Great Aunt Lillian Pose. My aunt was a wonderful and memorable woman but does not have any web links.

Matt

No comments: