Wednesday, November 04, 2009


Jack, Mom and I met for the first time with the rabbi to discuss Jack's bar mitzvah. Jack's portion is the story of Joseph and his dreams. We talked about what Jack might talk about at the service. We spent a lot of time going over what happened when Joseph decided to teach his brothers a lesson by threatening to make Benjamin a slave for stealing. I started thinking about Jacob thinking he's lost two sons. I thought about Abraham thinking he was going to lose Isaac. And I thought about you. I said to the rabbi that I thought that these tests were overly harsh. He said that it is an important part of Judaism to teach that life is hard. It was all too much for me. I was getting very emotional and very sad. I was pretty tired because Mom and I had flown in really early in the morning from Los Angeles. I said that maybe Jack could focus on the dream part instead and then I just shut up and let everyone else talk and work through these things.

No comments: