Friday, October 06, 2006


Today was Joe's birthday. He turned five. He is energetic and loud and frustrating and beautiful. I cannot believe he is older than you were when you had your bone marrow transplant. I don't know how you did it when you were so young. You seemed so grown up to me.

Joe got a fish from Papa Teddy. He named it "Potato Man." Mom and I gave him a Nationals jacket and a Red Sox jersey with his name and number "1" on the back. We also went and bought him a new baseball bat at Galayans, now Dicks. His bat is really beat up with all of these dents. Not sure where they're from - maybe Joe is hitting Jack on his hard head with the bat.

I think he liked everything. The birthday pageant is almost over. Nana has a cake ready for us when we get to St. Michaels tonight. It is - of course - a baseball cake. I wonder if he is going to grow out of this or if it is something he'll stick with for a long time. I'll report back next October 6.

No comments: